This week I came to conclusions. The most important of which is that I am on my way to being a parent with a lot of regret. I think that I have neglected the importance and value of the family and my role as a leader in it. One of the first things I thought about doing is creating a medium that would be versatile and include the entire family. So, I decided to to a morning meeting with the whole family. Kami and I went out on a date night to discuss the idea behind it and figure out how to practically make it work. This part was a (expletive)ing nightmare. We stay up late, the kids stay up late, every morning is a mad dash to get to wherever and chaos is god. Trying to fit in a centralized time for a family of 6 ranging from 2-29 was not simple or easy. It came down to this. Kami and I agreed that for now it needs to happen and that we should be prioritzing it. This means that other values would need to shift around it.
Here are my goals for the meeting:
- We would have a centralized place where the family can share daily goals and be supported by eachother in those goals on a daily basis
- We would come to have a more centralized vision and purpose as a family
- As a family we would learn and celebrate the importance of worship and prayer.
So far, this is what the meeting have looked like:
- 10 minutes – singing and discussing a worship song
- 15 minutes – sharing about our previous day and discussing our plans and goals for the current day. This has been an important time for Kami and I to include the kids in what we are doing. In stead of just disappearing off to “work” I have been sharing with them more of what my day looks like and why we do what we do. Who we are meeting with etc.
- 5 minutes – Prayer for each other.
This whole thing really felt like we are the Flanders family from the Simpsons but I am pretty excited about the potential that it offers. I think we will be doing it 4 days a week for a while and see if it is accomplishing what we want it to. I’m interested, does anyone have any experience or ideas about this type of thing. We are completely new and would love to get some input or ideas from a family that has succeeded in having a unified vision.